Friday, August 12, 2011

Learning Curve

I guess I should not have been surprised that mistakes would be made. I certainly shouldn't feel angry. But I do. Both times my daughter has ingested gluten by mistake since learning of her Celiac Disease 5 months ago, I have been angry. Mostly at myself for letting my guard down and angry at whoever was responsible for the offending food.
Both times Lily has ingested gluten by accident, it has been from a restaraunt. Both times I have called or written letters. Both times were horrendous.
It is easy to be hard on ourselves as parents. I find myself overwhelmed someitmes by the responsibility of making so many of my children's life choices for them. Nutrition is something that has always been important to me. I limit sugar, encourage greens, avoid dyes and chemicals, etc. With the added pressure of avoiding the ubiquitous wheat it sometimes is overwhelming. So I can consciously tell myself not to be too hard on myself. I can locially explain to myself why and how mistakes happen. Wheat is everywhere, you were sick, you are still learning too, you needed a break. And yet, when my four-year-old is writhing in pain, throwing up and suffering, none of those excuses, however grounded in logic, seem to stick. I just feel angry. And guilty. And sad. And then, I have an ever stronger motivation to push on, to do better and to try harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment